What is ACM?
“To promote an increased knowledge of the science, design, development, construction, languages, and applications of modern computing machinery, and to provide a means of communication between persons having interest in computing machinery”.
The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) is an international scientific and educational organization. As a whole, this organization is dedicated to advancing the arts, sciences, and applications of information technology.
The ACM is also the world’s oldest and largest educational and scientific computing society. Since 1947, the ACM has provided a vital forum for the exchange of information, ideas, and discoveries. Today, the ACM serves a membership of more than 80,000 computing professionals in more than 100 countries. This membership represents all areas of industry, academia, and government.
Many universities with an information systems or computer science department have an ACM student chapter. The specific functions of these chapters vary, but most promote the learning and exchanging of ideas relating to information technology and computer science in their respective university.
Middle Tennessee State University Association for Computing Machinery (MTSU ACM)
At MTSU, the ACM serves as an extension of our Computer Science Department. Some of our activities include the folowing:
- sponsoring lectures related to computer science
- sending selected computer science students to the international collegiate programming contest each year
- providing a wealth or information and resources to students and faculty through our website (a knowlege repository is currently in development by ACM board members) and workshops for software (including web and mobile) development
- preparing students (regardless of their year) for professional computing with opportunities to network with companies varying from local startups to international corporations
If you would like to join MTSU ACM but aren't interested in becoming a chapter officer, simply visit our contact page and choose one of our media outlets to network with us and/or stay updated for upcoming events.
- The Chapter President -- Reece Boyd
- The Chapter Vice President -- Jeffrey Zotz
- The Chapter Treasurer -- Yi Gu, PhD
- The Chapter Secretary -- Ethan Willis
- The Faculty Sponsor -- Yi Gu, PhD
- Project Manager -- Taylor Harvin
- Promotion Director -- Preston Nalls, POSITION OPEN: Join Slack and message @preston for more details.
- Web Tech -- Preston Nalls, POSITION OPEN: Join Slack and message @preston for more details.
If you would like to join MTSU ACM and are interested in any of the positions above please visit our Slack
team to receive your invitation. After you join, leave a message concerning your interest in becoming a board member on our "#general" channel.