The MTSU ACM Web Design & Development Competition
In order to effectively renovate the MTSU ACM website and give students the opportunity to get real-world experience in the field of software engineering and web design, the MTSU ACM will be holding a competition for the design and development of a new MTSU ACM website. Unless otherwise specified in the requirements, you are allowed to use any library or system that is freely available (open-source) and works on the CS domain. We encourage creativity and innovation in the development of your design, so don't be afraid to add new features that don't exist on the current MTSU ACM website! For example, you may think that the MTSU ACM website could reach out more easily through e-mail and therefore, add the ability to collect e-mail addresses for a monthly newsletter.
Project Specifications & Requirements:
1. Students must work in teams of two (2) or three (3).
- Each student should have a specific role in the project.
- One student must be a Junior or Senior graduating in December 2013.
2. Your final design must work on the Computer Science domain.
- i.e. verify that any open-source libraries or code will work.
3. Color scheme matches traditional MTSU color scheme.
- Color scheme is flexible, but should be appropriate.
4. You cannot use a Content-Management System.
- Wordpress, Drupal, etc. are not allowed.
5. You must have the required web pages.
- In your design, you must have a web page for each of the following:
- About Us, Membership, Events, Contact Us.
- The ideal design should make adding, deleting, and displaying events relatively easy.
- The ideal design should have a method for adding and displaying photos for the organization.
- The ideal design should have a printable registration form in which students can input their information.
- The ideal design should make it possible to alert members of upcoming events and membership renewal.
- You are not limited to the bare-minimum web pages. We encourage you to add more pages!
6. Your project must be submitted by the deadline.
- No late submissions will be accepted. Period!
- Submission instructions / deadline will be announced shortly.
- The deadline will be in mid-May.
7. In order to participate, you MUST be an ACM member.
You will be judged / graded on the following:
- Will future ACM Webmasters easily understand the code that powers the website?
2. Ease of Use
- Is your website easily navigable? Is it simple to add a new event or check upcoming events?
3. Functional Creativity
- Does your design have any bonus features? (i.e. mass e-mail to all ACM members, member spotlight, embedding Facebook ACM group feed?, etc.)
4. Visual Creativity
- Is your design visually appealing? (i.e. advertising meetings in an appealing manner, layout is visually pleasing, etc.)
- Does your entire website work and meet the required specifications?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One example of a design that surpasses visual and functional expectations is: Cabedge.
The prizes for the winning team will be announced at a later date. In addition to any physical prize, winners of the competition will be able to say their design is being used by the MTSU ACM for years to come.